The PHILCO Phorum
I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Various and Sundry Categories (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Other Radios (Non-Philco) (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun (/showthread.php?tid=9200)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - OldRestorer - 04-03-2014

Thanks Ness,

That will help the search. I found this one with a record player local but have to see if it will fit.

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - tom.seeger - 04-03-2014

According to the GE manual:
LC-759 has Mahogany veneer
LC-759B has Blonde Mahogany veneer.
LC-768 has Walnut veneer.
The picture although in black and white looks pretty dark. If it were me, I'd darken it just a touch to make it look more aged, then apply the gloss.

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - codefox1 - 04-04-2014

This is a beautiful set, and you have done the cabinet justice! Fix the radio! Down the road you could consider blasphemous repurposing like installing a subwoofer in the bottom and for your home theatre and making the top half a liquor cabinet Whatever, don't toss it, please!

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - OldRestorer - 04-04-2014

Ok Codefox,
You want it? You are local, lol

I purchased this local record player to use in the GE so we will see what happens. Then I can use the cabinet for the veneer.

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - skyscraper - 04-04-2014

You're going to tear up a Philco to fix a GE??

Wrong forum Icon_razz

Good luck, anyway Icon_biggrin

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - OldRestorer - 04-05-2014

I thought about it but cant do it. I want a GE changer. what the heck will I do with the philco now? Maybe I'll bring it to the radio meet tomorrow!
Hopefully I get some goodies.

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - OldRestorer - 04-28-2014

I finished the console today. Now to find it a home.

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - Eliot Ness - 04-28-2014

That turned out very nice Icon_thumbup

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - tab10672 - 04-28-2014

Did you find a GE for the phonograph? Either way, it looks original.
The finish really brings out the figure in the veneer. Good job on the restoration, I usually buy the more modern/square sets like that and the 60's-70's floor models that nobody else at the
auction wants for cheap so I can let it set in the rain untill I can salvage the peeling veneer, but now I might have second thoughts after seeing how nice that one turned out.
Again...nice job

Todd

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - codefox1 - 04-29-2014

Woderful restoration, an inspiration to us all!

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - Jamie - 04-29-2014

Great job! Looks really good. I'd have a hard time giving it up if I were you.

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - OldRestorer - 04-29-2014

Id love to keep it but my house is being rebuilt and I am in the basement of my parents home with everything I own in the garage. There is just no room for it.

As for the GE phono I don't think the one in it is GE. I have no idea how to connect the phono and the radio is not currently working except for the dial lamps.

I am going to list it on craigslist for a while and see if I can get some money to put towards new radios.

Kirk

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - TheBakery - 04-29-2014

That looks amazing! Great job.

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - Jamie - 04-29-2014

Well, get in there and FIX that radio!... You've got a bunch of people around here that will help you out. Trust me, if I can learn how to do it, anyone can! Get a schematic, get a volt meter, figure out where and what values for the e-caps.... Heck, if you get confused, send me a PM. I'll try to help you over the phone.

RE: I dont know what to do! Decision made, Restoration begun - OldRestorer - 04-29-2014

Thank you for the offer but this one is beyond me. Too many unhooked wires and if it dont play now it wont play when it is recapped. I have no tools to test anything else. Just my handy meter.
I think a tube is bad since it did not light up and there is stuff rattling inside it. Icon_lol