Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116 speaker voice coil

My radio is the one with the badly damaged dial during shipment.Phorum members gave much needed advice on how to get it repaired. Bottom line is the dial was rebuilt using needed parts from a junker chassis and now operates smoothly.All paper and electrolytic caps were then restuffed and some 60% of the resistors were out of spec and replaced. All grommets on the RF subchassis were replaced. Fired her up slowly and current draw was 1.2 amps at 115V, no smoke or smells. But a dead set. Suspected voice coil or output transformer. Transformer was OK but one voice coil terminal was loose from speaker and coil wire broken. Other terminal was attached but coil wire was broken and partly missing.Missing about 3/8 in. of wire and the rest of the wire is varnished to the housing supporting the coil. I need to get the wire free from the varnish and and are considering 2 options. 1)dig the wire out with hobby knife or 2) apply paint remover to dissolve the varnish to release the wire. Also concerned with a tiny hole next to the terminal that a small wire may have exited.Would appreciate comments before I proceed.Thanks in advance from dixierat.

Messages In This Thread
38-116 speaker voice coil - by dixierat - 08-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Re: 38-116 speaker voice coil - by codefox1 - 08-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Re: 38-116 speaker voice coil - by Jim Berg - 09-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Re: 38-116 speaker voice coil - by dixierat - 10-08-2009, 07:31 PM