Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-482 Performance Second Opinion

Dave,

I have had one of these sets in the bedroom for almost 20 years and the AM and shortwave should be hot. This the only Philco table model with inverse feedback and has a sound that no other 1948 table set has. I have the set below it, the 48-475 which sounds rather plain. The biggest problem I had found with most early post-war FM sets is the oscillator radiates terribly on FM. Philco uses a rather odd IF frequency on FM. Before the days of cable, when tuning the set to 93.3, one of our local rock stations, channel 6 TV was totally unwatchable. Cable and now digital broadcast has eliminated that problem.

I find that most of the 40's Philcos with the "low-noise" front ends with 7F8s or similar setups with XXLs or XXDs, with the extra IF stages and low impedance loops, work extremely well. Is your loop hooked correctly and is the matching transformer that couples it to the 7F8 OK? The 7W7 RF stage is not used on AM and shortwave. The loop is coupled to the 7F8 mixer section through the loop transformer inside the RF deck.

Fred

Messages In This Thread
48-482 Performance Second Opinion - by DCASAZZA - 11-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Re: 48-482 Performance Second Opinion - by Fred R - 11-02-2009, 12:48 PM