Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

my 37-630 restoration

Well, I have begun to work on my 37-630. I have rebuilt the input condenser block and re-installed it. I have removed the two electrolytic cans on the chassis and will rebuild them this week. One problem I discovered was that the person who previously worked on it installed part #62 with the negative to ground rather than properly, with the negative to the transformer CT and the positive to raw B+ (see this link for that part of the schematic:  http://pagandad.tumblr.com/image/174532833199  ) Maybe that was why they gave up on it. Too bad they couldn't read a schematic, or even notice the insulation around the bottom of the can, and the little tab with the wire connected to it that went to the negative side of the condenser. Oh well, their loss is my gain. Maybe that's why I got it so cheap. I have been busy ordering those parts I don't already have in my inventory, mostly odd power resistors, 3 watt and 5 watt, to replace some in the B+ supply to various places that were 2 watt and 3 watt. I prefer to upgrade, and today's parts are smaller in the same rating, so they fit fine.

I also ordered a new dial from Radio Daze. Mine was faded and dirty, but would have been usable if cleaned, but when I went to clean it, using only water and mild dish soap, the lettering washed right off. So if you have an old dirty dial, DON'T TRY TO WASH IT ! You may come to the same grief.

So now I will wait for the arrival of some parts, and rebuild the electrolytic condensers. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither are old radios restored in one.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: my 37-630 restoration - by klondike98 - 06-03-2018, 03:25 PM
RE: my 37-630 restoration - by mikethedruid - 06-12-2018, 09:31 AM
RE: my 37-630 restoration - by mikethedruid - 09-22-2018, 07:07 PM
my 37-630 restoration - by mikethedruid - 06-03-2018, 10:47 AM