Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control

Today's progress....I took the sensitivity control switch apart and did some cleaning, working it back and forth, and finally was able to get it to click into place in the off position as it should. It wasn't broken after all...just majorly dirty.

Before I did anything with the RF coil, all the set would do is squeal in the distant position. After removing the RF coil, I found out just how bad it was. Multiple strands of wire hanging off of the secondary winding. Not good Icon_thumbdown 

No matter what combination of wires I tried, I could not get continuity through that winding. As a result, I had nothing to go on as far as reconnecting the broken ends. It would've been a shot in the dark. So I went with one of the universal replacement RF coils from Antique Electronic Supply instead.

With that new RF coil wired in, I can now find a distinct change in signal strength from local to distant. It's quite a bit louder when I switch to the distant position. So I feel confident that at least that part is working. When I remove the antenna wire I have clipped on the A terminal, it gets much quieter, so it appears the antenna coil is working as it should too. The set isn't as sensitive to receiving distant stations yet, but I suspect I need a longer antenna wire than what I'm using. That, and perhaps a better alignment might help. I'd have to think if the RF and the ANT coils are now working, the  DET coil would have to be as well?

Getting closer to the finish line on this one. It was a beast when I got it. Major filth and the chassis was pretty badly mangled....had to do some sheet metal straightening first. But it will be a nice upgrade to swap the 7S232 chassis in my Walton set with the 9S232 Icon_thumbup

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by tbone - 06-18-2018, 11:05 AM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by tbone - 06-18-2018, 08:18 PM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by morzh - 06-18-2018, 09:17 PM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 06-18-2018, 09:37 PM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by tbone - 06-19-2018, 04:01 AM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by tbone - 06-19-2018, 07:14 PM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by Arran - 06-20-2018, 01:57 AM