Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to Forum- 47-1230 is my 1st Restoration

As they say on other forums I've been on, "without pictures it didn't happen", so I guess I post some pictures. So I plunged in this week and disassembled the 47-1230 and found someone has been in it before and didn't do such a hot job. First I noticed the original back is long gone and someone had the wiring stuck in the grooves with thumb tacks. The main chassis was missing two mounting screws and the other two were loose. Does anyone know where I can get those screws? They look to be some cross between a lag screw and a machine screw.
I took the chassis, speaker and phonograph down to my work shop and started looking at the chassis first. I checked for any bare wires or possible dead shorts and then removed the rotten power cord and rigged up a temporary cord. I plugged in the speaker and plugged  in the power cord and waited to see if anything was going to smoke. Everything seemed ok, so I switched it on. A few of the tubes came on and a few didn't. I could get a few pops or cracks out of the speaker when I moved the tuner and had the volume up, so I think this is viable. I disconnected the power and using the link Terry supplied I got the schematic and proceeded to look the circuitry over and compared it to the schematic.
Someone has definitely been into it as a couple of items were not per the schematic and some not to snuff wiring has been added. I then went to work identifying all of the caps and resistors and placed an order for all of them and plan to replace pretty much all of it and according to the schematic.
Today, while I am waiting for the parts, I disassembled the phonograph completely, cleaned, lubricated and polished everything and reassembled it. I cleaned and tested the motor while it was out and it was good. When I got it all back together and hooked it up to power tonight everything worked beautifully. Now I just need to convert the head as the original was pretty much in pieces. I'm going to look at "The Voice of Music' tonight to see about converting it.
The phonograph turned out great for a 71 year old set and with only a few tiny bits of paint bubbling (rust) and some pits on the chrome, I'm very happy with it. Even the wiring cleaned up nice. I don't want it new, I want it functional and nice for a 71 year old antique. Anyway, here are the photos I promised. I took a ton of them, but won't bore you with all of them, just some. I have no idea why they are sideways. Icon_sad

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup

Messages In This Thread
RE: New to Forum- 47-1230 is my 1st Restoration - by Greggshere - 08-08-2018, 10:31 PM