Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Should? Have Components

I would find it very debatable if unused will change much in value. Some of mine in my Philco have increased in values, some have decreased and this is under use for over 70 years. I have new or should I say NOS resistors many I accumulated over the years including "grab bags" of various values and types including carbon and many are close to spot on of indicated values. Yes I saw those Steve made with the Philco tools being a major clue of the artist BUT it costs me less to purchase items from Israel, UK, Germany etc. due to my limp $ and DON'T get me started on that Global Shipping Program with all the bogus tacked on "import" fees I seldom if ever pay. That Philco 444? It flew across the pond as well as my Volksempfanger with ZERO duty. There are a pare of red body green dot black end bones in my 444 that test at 3meg instead of 2 and I'm waiting for what arrives to see if there is a replacement or another possibility I have been pondering is putting a 6meg in parallel sneakily hidden within the capacitor block to reduce the resistance down to 2. A number of the others test slightly smaller in resistance so who knows? Which came first the chicken or the egg? Were they off from new in value, did they increase or decrease with use? All I know is the two 2 meggers don't vary in value at all during heat gun torture and heat from unsoldering and reinstallation so I would bet a dollar for a doughnut the parallel scheme would work just fine?
Now pardon me being a bit off topic but I never noticed voltage ratings of those big old or old style resistors before and now all of this metal film and film resistors in general have a voltage rating and from what I read partially is due to that smidge of coating being susceptible to arc through. I will take my chances with NOS bones with the exceptions of capacitors.

Messages In This Thread
Should? Have Components - by Philco444 - 12-21-2018, 10:10 PM
RE: Should? Have Components - by morzh - 12-23-2018, 03:51 PM
RE: Should? Have Components - by Phlogiston - 12-23-2018, 03:59 PM
RE: Should? Have Components - by Philco444 - 12-23-2018, 05:43 PM
RE: Should? Have Components - by Phlogiston - 12-23-2018, 07:47 PM