Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 44B Cabinet Repair Blog

Most old time filler pastes are microscopic glass beads suspended in oil. The oil evaporates and then you sand lightly to even out the surface. This is done on porous woods and veneers. If you skip this step, even endless applications of laquer will be futile, as you will always leave witness marks as you sand down the last coat. Polyurethane is more forgiving, if not authentic. By the way, shellac the inside of the cabinet too because moisture travels both ways. If you get the orange peel complexion with lacquer the underlying finish is not cured, or the humidity is too high. Let it cure a couple of weeks, and give another coat. Yes, for most of us, high gloss is out.

You can dull down the finish with pumice, or for a mild effect, use rottonstone. Should be able to get this at an art store. After everything is done and cured for a couple of weeks, a little paste wax job should really be applied. Once a year after that, wax it again, and it will live on.

I too am an amatuer, and have not been active in woodworking in some time, but did have some luck on smaller pieces using shellac, and the process called French Polishing which is done with oil and shellac. Well I learned that's what they do to touch up scars from a rough move on Pianos and fine furniture.

But the radio does look grand. Better than I can do.

Messages In This Thread
Philco 44B Cabinet Repair Blog - by Ron Ramirez - 10-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Re: Philco 44B Cabinet Repair Blog - by exray - 10-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Re: Philco 44B Cabinet Repair Blog - by Uffda - 10-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Re: Philco 44B Cabinet Repair Blog - by Uffda - 10-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Re: Philco 44B Cabinet Repair Blog - by codefox1 - 10-27-2010, 01:57 PM