Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radiobar 107 messed up

You are entitled to your opinion Mike but I agree with the poster, if he doesn't like it, and thinks it looks ugly, then that's what matters. The actual question seems to be what to do about correcting it. Radiobars are a fairly collectable series of radios currently (though still overpriced), so I think it pays to restore them right. If it was a cheapo post war radio-phono combo, with flaking faux wood grain, nobody would care if you painted it pink, with green polka dots, but this is, rightly or wrongly, a four figure radio. I for one am sick of having to redo someone else's careless work, albeit on the electrical side, because someone decided that good workmanship is something only "purists" would care about.
  Now I think the question behind the post was how to correct the way this came out? Black paint is pretty difficult to cover up, maybe if it were oversprayed with extra dark walnut toner it might come up more brown then black, but an experiment may be in order. The peanut butter brown should be easy enough, it's light enough that any darker toner should cover it up with enough coats. However if the cabinet has not been clear coated yet it may be easier to just strip off the black paint, and the brown, and start over, lacquer thinner will take it off and should leave the grain filler alone. Just to make it easier I would mask off the rest of the cabinet while you remove the black paint, just so it doesn't end up where you don't want it.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
Radiobar 107 messed up - by wardmc1 - 02-27-2019, 08:39 PM
RE: Radiobar 107 messed up - by mikethedruid - 02-27-2019, 08:59 PM
RE: Radiobar 107 messed up - by Arran - 02-28-2019, 04:29 AM
RE: Radiobar 107 messed up - by wardmc1 - 02-28-2019, 07:02 AM