Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Substitute higher secondary a.c. voltages

Terry ,

The adjusting filter capacitance change is most-interesting.  I didn't know anything about that.
I suppose the simplest route is the added resistance in the dc supply. The filter caps I've bought will handle the extra voltage, ( 450 volts), so I don't think changing them for fear of them being underrated is necessary.   I would assume it best to add the resistance after the field coil.    

Not sure it will be necessary...... I'm trying to buy another transformer from someone on here.  He may have one more-like the original.  there's one on Ebay that's a little high.  I'm not rushing into either choice yet.

I appreciate the help.   Icon_biggrin 

morzh ,

An additional transformer sounds expensive, and a little complicated.  I'll probably stick with resistance if I have to do it at all .  I'm hoping to get a better replacement  from someone I came across after I posted my original post.  Thanks for the suggestion.   Icon_wave 

Tom,

Your suggestion of a different rectifier sounds wonderfully the easiest to implement, ( as long as the pin arrangement is the same...not that I'm not capable of re-wiring it).   This thing has an 84 rectifier though, and I'm feeling any newer rectifier ( like the 5Y3),  may go in the other direction. I don't know things like plate resistances, so I need to study that more in the online tube manuals.     Icon_razz

Jake

Messages In This Thread
RE: Substitute higher secondary a.c. voltages - by Jake Blake - 04-05-2019, 07:16 PM