Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco model 630 capacitor replacement

Correct, in bakelite block caps that have two capacitors inside, one hole will have two leads coming out (one from each cap) while the remaining leads of each cap will come through the other two holes.

Our own Chuck has many if not most of the bakelite blocks listed on his site, showing how the capacitors should be connected inside the block to the terminals outside:

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/bblokcap.htm

Any bakelite blocks not listed there will be in the book Philco Condensers and More by Ray Bintliff. Chuck gives ordering information for this book at the top of the page linked above.

Let's back up to that three-section electrolytic. All three electrolytics will have their negative wires tied together if you were to put new electrolytics inside the old can; all three negative leads were/are connected to the can (metal cover). The 10 uF, 50 volt section has its positive lead connected to ground, not vice versa. I just wanted to clarify that; hope this does not confuse you. I made the mistake once of connecting a 10 uF, 50 volt cap backwards with the positive lead connected to the metal can, and the negative to the bottom terminal, and promptly blew the cap since I had it connected backwards. Lesson learned!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco model 630 capacitor replacement - by Ron Ramirez - 01-06-2011, 07:53 AM