Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it

Hi Levi and welcome to the Phorum!

I'll try to answer your questions systematic.

<Its a 1936 Philco Model 116B according to what I was able to find out
Yes it is it's the early 1936 model.

<power switch seems to of been bypassed on this radio at one point in time in its history as the radio powers on right when its plugged in and the power switch does nothing with the radio.
Could be one of two things. The switch contacts are stuck and mechanically aren't opening. Contacts are burnt open and the volume control/off-on sw will need to be replaced. Post a pic of it so we can see if it's the original unit.

<2nd issue is trying to get the shadow meter up and running properly again
Was it working? If it wasn't there are a lot of factors that need to be check/serviced before the sm will work properly. That wouldn't be high on the list till the caps are replaced, tubes are tested/weak ones replaced, resistor checked, and a full alignment. After that then play with the sm. If it doesn't move at all more than likely the coil is open in it and will need to be rewound to get to work order.

<Another issue is that there are 3 tube sockets on this radio that appear as if they should of had shields over them but then when I try to put tube shields over them the anode cap wiring gets kinked under the tube shield because the anode cap wire runs under where the tube shield would sit and then into the underside of the radio chassis.
First off the cap isn't really an anode cap. This would imply that it's connected the anode or plate of the tube. It isn't as it connects to the control grid of the tube. Typically the plate/anode has high voltage connected to it where the control grid doesn't so there is no shock hazard. Real plate caps most of the time will have a ceramic cover to minimize the shock hazard. To fit the shield I put the tube in it's socket, connect the grid cap, if it use the square shields try the position the wire to go up the corner, slip the shield down over the tube and onto the base at the chassis.

<Also I'll need a reproduction tube placement chart for the inside of the radio cabinet as the original tube placement chart has long since
disappeared from the inside of the radio.
https://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showt...?tid=19205

Dial can be had here: http://www.radiodaze.com/philco-116-116x-27-5107/

Here's the 116B I serviced abt a yr ago https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=16833

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it - by Radioroslyn - 12-09-2019, 08:25 PM