Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it

OK, so this radio has the rounded tube shield mounts, not the square ones, (I believe this is a super early 116B set as it has a lot of the features that the earlier 116B's had in them rather than the later 116B's had in them).

As for the power switch/volume control, I took a look at it and it is wired into the circuit but it just doesn't function for some reason, and when you turn the knob it makes a clicking noise like it should be working but it doesn't do anything.

This radio had at one point in time an antenna assembly from the back of a 1950s AA5 radio fastened to the bottom of the cabinet for some reason.

As for the Shadow meter goes, I'm not sure if it works or not as  have yet to be able to power this unit up properly.

As for the tuning dial goes, how do you get it off the tuning shaft, and is there any way to know which way it goes back on so that it goes on the right way?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first Philco of this type I've worked on, as most of the radios I've ever worked on were mostly AA5 radios from the 1940s and 1950s and or 1940s vintage multiband radios, or 1930s vintage AM only Tombstones or Cathedral Radios, I've never worked on anything this fancy before.

Also Who's brilliant idea was it at Philco to print a radio dial with ink that wiped off with something as mild as just soap and water?! Who ever came up with that idea apparently didn't want their radios being cleaned if they got dirty...  Icon_thumbdown  Icon_wtf

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it - by captainclock1988 - 12-09-2019, 09:40 PM