Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it

The ant and gnd posts on the back of the chassis are designed for a single wire (aka random wire ant) and a connection to a ground. The red and black are designed for a balanced antenna using 300 ohm feed line and two element connected off the far end of the feed line. The length of the elements will determine the frequency that the ant will receive the best.
Look up dipole ant and where it uses coax use 300 ohm twin lead. There will be a formula of two to determine the lengths. Balanced antennas are better as they improve the signal to noise ratio.

>Oscillation noise that has a steady "beat" to it and I can't get that noise to go away.
Any ideas as to what that noise could be and how I can go about getting rid of it?
Hard to say so many choices. Could be a modern device causing interference, misalignment, missing tube shield, ect...  I would w/the set warmed up and oscillating go thru and touch the grid caps one by one of the rf and if stages and see if it stops oscillating if so then that's the stage to have a look at.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it - by Radioroslyn - 01-06-2020, 06:23 PM