Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it
Video 

I made a video of the sound this radio makes in the Shortwave and police/amateur radio bands, which is posted below.

But I think I figured out the problem, first of all the radio doesn't have a 37 (or 76) tube in the 2nd Det./AVC socket like its supposed to, and second the 78 tube that was in this radio originally fof the RF stage was faulty I think because when I went to try and remove it to check the capacitor that comes off the grid cap of the 77 tube the 78 tube's bulb broke right off the base (the bulb itself didn't break but the bulb came unglued from the base and the wires for the tube's connections inside the bulb pulled straight out of the pins in the base) which when that happend I had to pry the base out of the socket because the base was actually stuck in the socket for some reason (I think someone may have stuck the tube into the socket wrong), so I stuck a 6D6 tube I had laying around from an old Delco radio I used to have from 1937 and the noise went away but the audio is now a bit quieter than it was with the 78 tube in there (but the tube substitution manual did say that the radio was going to need a realignment when using a 6D6 tube in place of a 78 tube). 

When I put my finger on the grid cap of the RF tube the audio gets louder and the reception clears up significantly, when I touch the grid cap of the 77 Tube  (the 1st Detector Tube) the audio gets quieter and then when I touch the grid cap of the 77 tube and wave my hand over the 84/6Z4 tube I get severe feedback (which is why I think that 84/6Z4 tube shouldn't be there, also when I went to try and swap out the 76 oscillator tube with the 84/6Z4 tube the radio was completely dead audio wise, which is the other reason why I don't think that the 84/6Z4 tube doesn't belong in that spot) and the 1st and 2nd IF tube grid caps when touched make the radio go silent.

Also the radio is missing 3 of its tube shields (one for the 76 Oscillator tube, one for the 77 1st Detector tube and one for the 77 1st Audio Tube, the rest are still there), which I think that this radio missing 3 of its six tube shields might also be contributing to the odd oscillating noise I'm hearing in this radio.

That's what I have figured out with this radio so far.

Philco Radio Video

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it - by captainclock1988 - 01-06-2020, 11:35 PM