Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it

Quote:If it's on of the bolt heads that had solder on it you might try heating it up with the solder gun and pushing the socket onto it before it cools down. Not real easy but doable, I had the same problem on a 116b. or try use some solder wick on it.

I already tried that, the nut driver wouldn't bite, it just kept slipping, almost as if the hex head had stripped out for some reason.

Quote:You may have to drill the head off. Start with a small bit, 3/32 would be good, drill a pilot hole about 3/16 inch deep. Then use a larger bit, 3/16 should work and drill the head off. After removing the condenser, you should be able to get the screw out with your Vice Grips. The reason for starting with the smaller pilot hole is, it is easier to drill the center of the head and not skate off.

I may have to try that.

Another quick question, how big are the tuning capacitor support grommets? 
I'm asking because I have an assortment of rubber grommets that I got from Harbor Freight that I think I could use on the tuning cap for the replacement support grommets, but I need to know the correct diameter, outer and inner diameter.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it - by captainclock1988 - 01-22-2020, 10:31 PM