Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rebuilt 46 Philco dead after one hour!

Hi Marc,
From your previous posts, it sounds like you would know how to replace capacitors yourself.
I would first do some checks, and see if the fuse was blown. Ron is right, something caused the fuse to blow. Installing a bigger fuse is dangerous, and could cause something to burn out elsewhere in the set.

Check the power switch to see if it is closing. UNPLUG THE SET TO TEST.
Check the continuity of the power cord from the plug end, to the connection points inside the chassis.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013586.pdf

If you look at the schematic, you can see the power plug wiring. Check to see if the phono light will come on with the power switch on, and the phono door open.
See the switches? If the main power switch doesn't get closed, no current will flow.

So concentrate on this section only for now. I would think that your 'repairman' would have checked and lubed the switches during the time at the shop. But I guess someone who only replaces parts as needed may not have checked the switch?
Sometimes a switch will get gummy, and the flipper inside does not make contact. A tiny shot of contact cleaner inside the switch will usually free it up.
Then the set should have been run for at least 3 hours or more on the bench as a test. If something went wrong, it would have failed at his shop. Hindsight is 20/20.

Let us know what you have found with the power cord and primary section. Still wondering what would cause the fuse to blow. Perhaps something in the phono motor? Hard to tell from here.

Good luck.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Rebuilt 46 Philco dead after one hour! - by gary rabbitt - 02-09-2011, 04:42 PM