Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

advice needed: restoring 47-1230 - FM & AM now works!!!! :D (uncertain about SW)

I am currently trying to figure out why the phono won't work.

Short of splicing the wires to ensure the power goes all the way to the turntable, how do I check? The small transformer and motor both runs hot, the motor won't turn. I tried to turn it by hand, the mecanism doesn't seem stuck at all.

On the other end, the cable that goes out the arm into what seems like a transformer (I guess its a filter of some sort) into a connector - this is the audio input for the phono into the radio chassis, if I touch it or the frame of the phono, the buzzing sound change. I tried to ground it to chassis, the buzzing sound stops. I am thinking the record changer is no longer properly grounded.
[Image: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/...0_8971.jpg]

I know the audio from the phono works, I tried to connect something else trough that RCA-style connector and could hear perfectly. All that's needed is to make the disc turn, and to find a cartdrige to pick up the signal.

Am I loosing my time trying to make it turn, being that the cartdrige is near impossible to find?

I am thinking of replacing the phono section completely...

-Mars

Messages In This Thread
Re: advice needed bringing this 47-1230 to its former glory - by Marsupial - 04-03-2011, 11:33 AM