Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Horseshoe magnet pickup

Thanks for the input. Two buttons per side easily provide enough volume. I think the main distortion problem turned out to be some hairline tears in the speaker cone. Repaired with some silicone caulk. Frequency response is excellent. Some slight distortion on extremely loud operatic stuff, but not enough to worry about it. Never thought about not enough weight, so Ill try a record that has some issues and see if that makes a difference. Even without a bass reflex system the bass from this thing is amazing. Unfortunately there is also a moderate 60hz hum. Tubes OK so opened up the chassis and the input transformer looked baked! Some of the bakelite broke off but I taped and repaired some wiring. It had started to burn the paper on the bottom plate so I covered that part in duck tape. There also is a faint buzz when touching the metal tone arm and phono transformer. I did something before that stopped it but have no idea what it was. If anybody has a magic solution that doesn't required electronic knowledge or professional overhaul I'd love to hear it, but for now I'm Ok with it. Still get jaws dropping when I show it off! Ah, fixed the buzz with a new phono wire made from old heavy duty TV antenna lead in and firmly inserted into the connectors. Hum not quite as bad but very faint when the radio is on.

Messages In This Thread
Horseshoe magnet pickup - by rvt32016 - 03-28-2021, 01:13 PM
RE: Horseshoe magnet pickup - by Chas - 05-26-2021, 03:38 PM
RE: Horseshoe magnet pickup - by Arran - 05-30-2021, 10:03 PM
RE: Horseshoe magnet pickup - by rvt32016 - 07-06-2021, 02:38 PM
RE: Horseshoe magnet pickup - by Arran - 07-09-2021, 07:29 PM