Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

In Praise of Steve Davis and his great cabinet work

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Oh, no, when I was talking about the decals on ARF, I wasn't even thinking about my 89B. As you say, it certainly isn't Steve's fault that no one makes accurate reproductions of the 1932-36 Philco decals. At least the decal Steve used sort of looks like the original; which is a lot more than I can say for that other decal Radio Daze sells, that looks nothing like a 1937 and later Philco decal.

That was something that also infuriated me about those decals going back to when Mike Tobin of Rock Sea enterprises made them, not the Philco ones specifically but the General Electric and RCA Victor ones, they were just plain wrong. Maybe they used different decals on the US and Canadian sets but not totally different. The word sets were also not that great, most of the sets I have used the word "Range" to designate the band switch, the word sets that they sold had multiples of the word "Band". It was obvious to me that there was very little if any research done on these and no consultation with restorers on these. I wonder how difficult it actually is to reproduce decals?
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread