Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1930 Model 77 Lowboy

Hi Nurse,

Welcome to the forum. That is a nice looking radio model. Please post photos.
Generally, serial numbers are not useful in identifying a set.

As far as any polish, I would avoid anything with silicone in it. Pledge, etc. Reason is, if it ever needs to be touched up or a section refinished, the silicone can cause issues with the new finish.
If it is not dirty, I would apply a coat of paste wax, like Johnson's, etc.

You say that it has been in your grandmothers house for years, and now have powered it up. Even though it 'works' you may be on borrowed time. Assuming the set has it's original parts, capacitors are over 80 years old and can fail at any time. Failure of the main ones can take out an expensive part like a transformer or speaker.

I would suggest that you don't power it up again until someone can make an inspection of the set, and at least replace the filter capacitors. Those are the parts that smooth out the electricity that is sent to the rest of the set. If they fail, you can damage parts in a hurry, and in a worst case scenario, cause a fire. It's cheap insurance to replace those parts, and you will have a safe and reliable set for many more years.

You may not understand all of this page, but you will get an idea.

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/plugin.htm

As for "value" I will let someone else suggest a ballpark figure for the set. Price guides are just that, a guide. Some are way off in the figures, and don't reflect the actual prices the same exact set is being sold for. Some sellers will see a "similar" set with a $500 asking price, so they automatically think their set is worth the same. Or, think old=$$$. Not always the case.
You can check Ebay for completed sales on the same set. Never go by asking price.

I would say that a general overall appraiser would not be clued in to what radios are going for. The guys here will let you know a better figure.
Lastly, I don't know if you are deciding to sell it or hang onto it.. Personally, if it was Grandma's set, I'd hang onto it, get it serviced, and enjoy a family heirloom. That would be worth more than the dollars you would get for it. And I'd almost guarantee you would want it back after you sold it Icon_smile

Will check back for photos.

Messages In This Thread
1930 Model 77 Lowboy - by DubVNurse - 04-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Re: 1930 Model 77 Lowboy - by gary rabbitt - 04-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Re: 1930 Model 77 Lowboy - by Uffda - 04-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Re: 1930 Model 77 Lowboy - by DubVNurse - 04-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Re: 1930 Model 77 Lowboy - by Ron Ramirez - 04-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Re: 1930 Model 77 Lowboy - by Uffda - 04-23-2011, 02:13 PM