Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Repair Help on 1936 Philco Cathedral Radio

My repair efforts on my 1936 Philco Cathedral Radio (I think Model 60B) have run into a snag and I’m seeking advice from anybody on the Philco Phorum on a possible cause and fix. After re-capping most of the paper capacitors I found in the chassis and cleaning and lubricating the variable capacitor the set runs but the sensitivity is very low. However, when I put my finger on the grid cap of the 6A7 pentode the set come to life with a big jump in sensitivity!  I changed out the 6A7 tube for two other 6A7 tubes I have on hand and it makes no difference, weak reception until I put my finger on the grid cap of the 6A7 tube.  I also would appreciate it if someone would point me to the correct schematics for the 1936 Philco Model 60B and its component specs.

Please take a look at the video at this link:
https://youtu.be/Dj54lcvULMA

I would like to get some opinions on where the problem is (or at least may be). If you may have any suggestions as to what might be the cause and what I may need to do to fix it, please let me know!

P.S. Unfortunately I don’t have an extensive background in electronics but I’m trying to learn.  I also don’t have an extensive set of testing tools /scopes for radio repair but I do have the basic VOM, soldering irons, and hand tools. Of course, I’m open for suggestions on what other testing tools or equipment I may need to buy (without breaking the bank)!

Messages In This Thread
Repair Help on 1936 Philco Cathedral Radio - by KB1PKS - 01-29-2022, 05:47 PM