Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Power supply for 90v Battery - Switchmode modules

I have tried this using the HF AC Supplies that you describe, with appropriate rectifier, electrolytic and mylar filters to no avail (BTW, U have to connect the remote control terminal to - to get that PS to work. I have also used a DC 12V -90V step up supply advertised for nixie projects with the same poor results. I have not been able to filter out the noise. Interestingly, I have used several switch mode supplies for the filaments of 2V farm radios with no issues. These are typically 12VDC In, adjustable Out from about 1.5 - 5V. I have powered these from switchmode 12V Power Supplies meant for LED lighting, again with no issues. The big issue is the B+

Ther is a guy who has built one w. no issues. I have to find the article. I got frustrated and dropped the $160+ for the Arbe III, However, I am still working at making the HV switchers work.

I would not knock myself out making a power supply for the filaments, as a D size Alkaline will power the radio for quite a while and is a lot safer than a switcher that fails and puts 12V on the tube filaments. Several diodes in series and several more in series with opposite polarity across the output of the supply should prevent catastrophic runaway. Unless you actually use the radio for many hours, using a D Cell for the filaments is not an issue.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Messages In This Thread
RE: Power supply for 90v Battery - Switchmode modules - by MrFixr55 - 03-09-2022, 10:44 PM