Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 50-1724 Restoration by a noob

Hi, Pete,

I am not familiar with the Philco M20. My experience (from a long time ago) is with V-M and Garrards, but generally when the changer is in "Neutral" (not auto cycling), the tone arm should be free.

Inspect the unit. Try to not take the unit apart or you will have adjustments galore. If disassembly is required, matchmark adjustable parts.

Check for bent components, but more importantly, clean and lube per the manual. 70 -75 year old grease and even oil hardens. The 20 wt oil (SAE20, or even 3 in 1 Oil will soften the hardened grease until it can be removed. I don't know what is the best grease to substitute for the specified Texaco Cup Grease. Lubriplate is good but eventually hardens. Modern EP-2 non fibrous wheel grease may be a good substitute.

Your other 2 big issues are going to be the "tire" (capstan wheel) and the cartridge.

The V-M Website may have one compatible with the Philco changer. You may be able to freshen up the wheel by mounting in a drill and sand a little off it, but this may not be successful.

I believe that the cartridge is specific to Philco. The Cartridge is a "plug in" and there are contacts on the side that act as the movable portion of the "switch". The stationary parts are mounted on the tone arm. In addition, there is another switch on the speed selector. Ensure that the contacts are clean. However, the crystal in the cartridge is likely dead. The Philco Phanatics in the group will be able to provide info on repair / replacement of the cartridge. I am a bit too much of a hi fi nut to tolerate the sound of a crystal cartridge. I would be looking to sneak a Pickering or Shure in there and add an external preamp for a true FrankenPhilco. However, a modern ceramic cartridge from these new suitcase phonos or repro Antiques (Crosley, etc) may fit without too much butchery. You may even be able to fashion a mount that plugs in like the original cartridge. Try to have the needle angle and radius to be the same as the original.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 50-1724 Restoration by a noob - by MrFixr55 - 04-13-2022, 06:28 AM