Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 49-901 - Horrible (Garbled) Sound

This morning, I redid the 49-901's IF alignment the right way, using a VTVM as an output indicator. Following this, I redid the preset station frequencies as follows:

1 - 660 kc - my home SSTRAN
2 - 840 kc - WHAS, Louisville, KY
3 - 860 kc - WSON, Henderson, KY
4 - 990 kc - WITZ, Jasper, IN
5 - 1280 kc - WGBF, Evansville, IN
6 - 1420 kc - WVJS, Owensboro, KY

I also replaced the speaker and output transformer with a speaker that has a nearly perfect cone, no holes, only one very minor visible tear which I can easily fix with fabric glue. Its attached output transformer was made for a 50C5 which will also match the loctal 50A5 used in the 49-901.

After making these changes, I put the chassis through its paces once again. Listen:

[Video: https://youtu.be/etAsPnY6zPM]

I think it sounds somewhat better with the replacement speaker.

In the video above, you will notice that six stations can be heard - three (WHAS, WSON, WVJS) are very weak. Two (my SSTRAN and WITZ) are fairly strong. One (WGBF) is sort of in the middle as far as signal strength is concerned. My basement is not a good place for AM reception.

And that is it for this 49-901 chassis restoration. Thanks again for reading and for commenting. I'll post an extended version of this on my blog in the near future, with additional photos.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread