Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hooray! I Finally Got a 'BIG DOG' Philco

37silverstreak Wrote:Hi,
That is a beautiful set! Congratulations Icon_thumbup Looks like a nightmare to work on though Icon_crazy
I agree with Joe on the finish. that original finish still looks pretty good. I just got a 38-4 that had a finish very similiar to yours and I tried a product called "Restore-A-Finish" on it and I was totally suprised on how well it worked!! It was a lot easier than refinishing as well. Just a thought.
Thanks for all the comments folks. Actually, the finish has quite a bit of flaking lacquer, especially on the sides. I may try using some 'Restore-A-Finish' on it, at least in the short term to see if I can improve it any. There is always the option to refinish the cabinet at a later date.

As far as the Philco paper caps for re-stuffing are concerned, I will make a list of what is missing and post the results, in hopes that some of you may have what is needed.

Quote:You lucky dog! Icon_biggrin Congratulations on acquiring one of Philco's best!

Bill - no, that isn't photofinish; it is real inlaid veneer. Philco may have cut some corners on the 38-690, such as in the RF deck, but at least they didn't use photofinish on the cabinet.

Ron - I remember reading in a post a while back that RadioDaze did not have the correct font for the Philco decal on these sets. I can't remember exactly, but I think there was some discussion that possibly AES had the correct font? Is this true?

Regards,

Ed

Messages In This Thread