Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Have had this television since I was 12 what model is it?

Hi Brian,

First off, please be careful handling this TV, as CRTs (Picture Tubes) are under extremely high vacuum, break rather easily, and, especially your type, can severely lacerate a person from flying glass. Please wear appropriate safety goggles and face shield, gloves and heavy clothing.

Do you have the back for the TV? If not, make one, complete with a covering for the CRT Neck Many thanks for coming up with the model and many thanks to Terry "Radio Roslyn" (Roslyn PA, not Roslyn LI NY). for posting the schematic! Your CRT is a 21EP4, a relatively rare "cylindrical" face tube. Most are spherical tubes. A spherical tube can replace a cylindrical tube. This is all moot because there is almost no one except the Early Television Museum that rebuilds CRTs. ETM was going to attempt to rebuild tubes. I don't know if they were successful. Google them.

The big question is do you really need to replace it. The fact that the "base" (the black thing with the pins is loose or cracked is not the death of the tube. The soldering iron and booster assembly laying in the set are not good signs however.

If you have not powered up the set, don't do so unless you have a variac or very carefully watch the back of the set for flashing in the 5U4 rectifier. You can remove the 5U4 and power the set up (only filament power will be supplied). The set should be dusted. Being inherently lazy, I bring my sets outside and take an electric leaf blower and soft bristled brush to them.

Do you have any electronic experience? Do you have a meter? Remove the connector and ohm between pins 1 and 12 (these are the pins on either side of the "key" on the base cap. You should get a low reading. If you do, carefully fit the connector back on the base all the way (again, face protection, gloves and heavy clothing!

I live in Greenlawn (a hamlet in Huntington) LI, NY, but at this point I cannot take on a project like this. I am still working for another few months and have no room in my house to take on this project. If I do, Ms. Fixr will do bodily harm to your set, do bodily harm to me, and will then leave. I also have some health issues. However, I will be happy to help via the forum and may eventually be able to do a House call.

Good luck!

John, MrFixr55

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have had this television since I was 12 what model is it? - by MrFixr55 - 01-23-2023, 09:51 PM