Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"37 & '38-116 tube shield compliment

Hey Guys,
Not to stray too far off topic but my original questions that really haven't been answered is tube shield count. Still the code info is very interesting & helpful to me on these 116s & Thanks Ron for narrowing the '38 codes down.

I Highly Regard both Ron's expertise with the Philcos & Arran's Vast Knowledge of All Types of radios in general. Icon_smileBut here is what I discovered:

Carl,
Those two pictures you supplied ARE Both missing tube shields Icon_eek with all due respect to Paul's website & the other. Icon_smile

Phil,

Thank You for chiming back in with the '38 sticker that has code 121 printed on it. That reaffirms what Ron was saying. Unfortunately Phil, your '38 is missing TWO square tube shields up on top of that tuning chassis & I would be very suspect if that metal tube should be in there. Icon_rolleyes Radio ground wired properly? To accept it. Icon_wink

I looked at the known '38 chassis code 125 with good light and a magnifier & noticed a very slight difference in patina around the TWO tube sockets in question. The tube shield's mounting plates HAD Been Removed. Icon_sad I could also slide my fingernail between the chassis & the top of the rivet that holds the socket along with the tube shield mount.

They must have been removed early in the radio's history in order to accommodate the bigger GT style diameter. They definitely did a good job, No Hack Marks at All. The thing they did fail on was, the knowledge that those tubes still needed shielding. Icon_lol

It appears that *ALL* 116s should have 11 tube shields. Also I don't think Icon_redface that metal tubes came stock in any '38 & before Philcos.

Now that I have both Arran's & Ron's experienced attention Icon_biggrin the other question I had was could a '37 code 122 chassis operate off a '38 tube compliment?

Thanks to All of you that have helped this Noob out so far,
Lloyd
________________________________________________________________________________

Ooohhh Noooo, What’s the Matter NOW?? It WAS Working GREAT before I “FIXED IT”!!

Messages In This Thread
Re: "37 & '38-116 tube shield compliment - by CrumblingWires - 06-21-2011, 08:37 PM