Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-9 bullet - how bad is too bad?

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted - or even did anything Philco, despite having a few around that need attention. It's nice to be back into one.

This one was in very poor condition - the cabinet has a big chunk out of it and black oily tar dripped all over the top, and the chassis is very rusty - I've got the dial guide metalwork sitting in evaporust at the moment, and have the rumbly vernier apart for cleaning. On the bright side, it cost me $2 at a swap meet late on the last day, as the owner didn't want to take it home. So I stand to lose a few hours and a couple of bucks at most.

I've scraped and sanded the cabinet, and I've started to layer-fill the chunk that is missing with some old veneer - and I have a spare bit of walnut veneer that looks like it might almost match if I can get it blended in ok - we'll see... I'm not super-good at cabinets but I'll give it a crack.

Electrically, the problems roll on... the speaker field is reading about 53k (should be 1.14k) - so I'm thinking maybe a green break and subsequent high resistance point? And the primary winding of the output TX is open, so it might end up with a non-Philco speaker in it, because the only other EM speakers I have are in other sets - so they would come at the cost of either a complete 60, 37-630 or a 37-640. I also have a PM one in a 38-39 battery set - but I don't know if I want to go down that route.

And the rust - so much rust. I don't know how far I'll go with the chassis. I've taken the tuning gang off to clean that up, so I can at least get that area clean, but I'm not too keen to strip this one too far - it was only supposed to be a quick 'git 'er going' job and the cabinet is already taking more work than I hoped... I only like it because of the cabinet shape... so I guess at least for that reason, I can throw a little more time in to see what I can get done.

I still have to test the mains TX, IF's and coils... I have a spare power transformer that I can use if I need to. I should have done those first, but I'll figure something out if any of them are U/S.

Anyway, I'm not really documenting this one too much - but I thought I'd use it as an excuse to get back to the forums.

Happy New Year everyone!

Cheers, Steve

There are no personal problems that can't be overcome with the liberal application of high explosives

Messages In This Thread
38-9 bullet - how bad is too bad? - by kiwi_steve - 12-31-2023, 08:13 AM
RE: 38-9 bullet - how bad is too bad? - by morzh - 12-31-2023, 01:48 PM
RE: 38-9 bullet - how bad is too bad? - by Arran - 12-31-2023, 04:55 PM
RE: 38-9 bullet - how bad is too bad? - by morzh - 01-01-2024, 12:43 PM
RE: 38-9 bullet - how bad is too bad? - by morzh - 01-02-2024, 06:52 PM
RE: 38-9 bullet - how bad is too bad? - by David - 01-02-2024, 08:44 PM
RE: 38-9 bullet - how bad is too bad? - by Arran - 01-03-2024, 01:46 AM
RE: 38-9 bullet - how bad is too bad? - by David - 01-03-2024, 01:47 PM
RE: 38-9 bullet - how bad is too bad? - by David - 01-05-2024, 06:45 PM