Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume

In reviewing the images I see:

Extra wires in a new socket terminal that are extending far beyond the terminal. Both lead wires and component leads are also invloved. It appears that these can short or are shorted to the socket ring or wach other.

Cpnnections do not NEED to be neat. Howevr, any distubance to such socket installation could easily lead to a short, if not now, in the future as the set continues to be serviced.

The soldering to the ring of the socket is fine as long as there is toothed lock washers to bite into the chassis on top and the socket metal ring down below.  A toothed solder lug is more appropriate and would give more component spacing.

I would suggest:

That smaller better quality tools be used to form the component and wires. Four inch plier size is fine. The use of offset needle nose are much more handy and take sandpaper to break the sharp edges of new pliers so that they are less likely to nick the wire. A 4" full round nose plier is very useful to fabricate smooth, uniform bends in component wires too. There are flush cutting extended nose diagonal cutters to get between tube socket pins to snip the wire ends. Flush cut means that there is no pointed edge to the cut wire.

Better quality tools are expensive. I have specified a brand of box joint pliers (German) averaging some $60 each.. Company purchase, I had to give them up when I retired Icon_sad

Overall, solder flow/temperature looks good, don't change that Icon_smile

It is best on audio and IF circuits to leave "some" component length and form the leads with the round nose plier at the component body. The helps in grabbing the component by the lead with heatsink pliers if need be and to prevent any wire stress at the component, especially resistors.

I do note that there is a mix of capacitor types. Just a note...

The one socket has the negative of an electrolytic connected, unless that pin is also grounded or part of the bias, O.K. if not, cap may be miss-configured.

I DO think these repair sare the source of the no signal just hum. BTW hum 60 hz or 120 hz, that is a clue...

GL

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Messages In This Thread
Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by bridkarl - 04-19-2024, 09:23 PM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by David - 04-20-2024, 04:08 PM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by David - 04-21-2024, 07:35 PM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by Chas - 05-11-2024, 10:21 AM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by Chas - 05-11-2024, 01:00 PM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by Chas - 05-11-2024, 05:04 PM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by Chas - 05-11-2024, 06:58 PM