Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-45 restoration: speaker wiring question and more

I just alligator clipped the speaker/socket/coil leads together and luckily got it right.
Took a chance and fired it up. Picked up Mexican music in one spot on the dial and just a bunch of hum on the rest of the dial. At least the power and output transformers seem to work.
There is no antenna coiled in this thing.... just a terminal screw pad for ground and external antenna. I switched over the solid core wire that was used as the ground wire to ANT. for the test.
All but one of the pilot lights don't work and that one is intermittent. All the tubes glow that I can see... haven't taken the metal shields off some to check.
I will do a recap and replace or sleeve rotten wires next and try to test the pilot lights to see if they are blown or not. Replacing rotted out pushbuttons and power indicator lens will come later if all goes well. I'll keep this thread posted with my progress.
Thanks to everybody for chiming in, I appreciate the sharing of knowledge and effort in helping me along.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco 39-45 restoration: speaker wiring question and mo - by greenskull - 09-06-2011, 04:13 PM