Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

49-1615 Radio and M-12c Record Player Cabinet

Okay, well first I'm gonna say that I think I'm in way over my head on this project, but I think it will be fun to learn Icon_smile

My parents recently moved to a much smaller house and I inherited their old Philco 49-1615 Radio with the M-12c record player. I was totally psyched about it cause my dad said it worked still and my hubby and I have been collecting old vinyls for years but had not been able to find a record player to purchase (we have always prefered the look and "feel" of an old one and I wouldn't break down and buy a new one, and no amount of thrift store searching has netted an old one.)

Well, my dad was NUTS...the thing might have worked when they purchased it from an auction 15 YEARS AGO (I only ever remember them turning it on once after they bought it), but it doesn't anymore...time, moisture and mice have gotten to it.

So, we opened it up, found it was full of a mouse nest and all kinds of crud. Hubby cleaned it out while I started doing some research. Came across this site after a little searching and found the schematics. We know that a lot (if not all) of the wiring needs to be replaced so I ordered a power cord, decided that was a good place to start, since nothing will work when you can't even plug it in cause the cord has been chewed almost in half (my father in law is going to help us replace that when it comes in since he is good with electrical work) Still waiting for that to arrive since I ordered it online....

In the meantime my research into old radio repair has brought up a few other questions. 1) I was wondering about all the rust on the chassis...will it affect the radio (cause it not to run?) Regardless of whether that is an issue or not, how do I clean it up? 2) I'm given to understand that the soundproofing insulation in these old radios is made from asbestos, as the mice have gotten to some of that and some of it now has loose fibers, should I remove and replace it? Just remove what has loose fibers? Replace it all? What do I replace it with if I need to replace it?

My goal is to order/replace/repair a few things at a time since we don't have tons of money, never done this before and I don't know exactly what is wrong. My father in law is going to help us as much as he can, he's a tinker but never done this before either. I hope to have it up and running by Christmas this year so we can FINALLY listen to all the christmas vinyls we've been collecting (I know, what a goof Icon_smile

Anyway, any help with these questions (and the ones sure to come in the future as we restore this thing) would be greatly appreciated!

Messages In This Thread
49-1615 Radio and M-12c Record Player Cabinet - by jaysmomma - 09-30-2011, 04:10 PM