Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which Philco radio to restore next? A 38-620 or a 41-256?

Hello, Tom, and welcome!

This IS the place to be with Philco questions, and frankly with other radio issues, as someone here will have the expertise to answer your questions.

Personally I do not know the differences between the 41-255/6 models, but I am really a 1930 to 1938 guy myself. The 255s I have seen were good players and recievers when right, you have a good radio to make right! The numbers you speak of are mega-hertz frequencies associated with shortwave radio. On them you can potentially listen to broadcasts from around the world, assuming that you have a good antenna on your radio. Right now I am listening to Radio Croatia on 7.8MHz, the radio I am recieving it on is a 10 tube RCA 263.

With respect to your 38-620, yes, it does have the RF deck that others have made (mostly negative) comments about. It is indeed tough to get at the components on the RF deck. And yes, your 41-255 has the troublesome rubber wire that often requires complete replacement. If I could offer any advice without knowing what your abilities are, it would be to know what your abilities truly are before you tackle restoring a radio. You can ruin a set by getting too deep into it. Photographs of the set's wiring before you work on it, diagrams, and tagging wires you have to un solder is a good way to avoid problems. Assume nothing, verify what you are unsure of. It is better to leave a project until you are sure of your next step.

Messages In This Thread