Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Phuilco 41-280 / The Chassis is worse than I had expected

I have just begun the process of restoring a Philco 41-280, and now that I have it in the workshop, I see that the cabinet is actually better than I expected, but the chassis is worse.

Actually, I am not competent to judge these things (I've seen internet photos of once-rusty old junker chassis transformed by superbly skilled hands to beautiful - and operable - condition). Even so, this chassis looks awful, a bit corroded, wires "cut" here and there, and a boatload of really nasty-looking parts underneath.

Restoring the cabinet is easily within my abilities, and I'm sure that the finished cabinet will be quite nice; but the chassis is - as they say - above my pay grade!

What are my options? Does it make sense to seek out a professional restorer to overhaul the chassis, or should I look for a "replacement" chassis (I understand that quite a few radios of that year used chassis that would fit and work in my cabinet.

I'm looking for good counsel from the experienced!

Many thanks!

Rob

Messages In This Thread
Phuilco 41-280 / The Chassis is worse than I had expected - by RFP - 10-20-2011, 05:45 PM