Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 20 restoration state: need the voltage chart

7estatdef Wrote:>Now, I started touching anodes (plates)
You are lucky you didn't get knocked on your Bum!!
Please don't do that as most of the anodes has around 200-300vdc on it. It smarts ALOT!

Terry, though I indeed lack a huge tube experience, I am an EE, and have designed few off-line power supplies in my life, plus some measuring voltage probes for 25kV and current sensors for 25kA (it's a lot of current). I know what voltage tube plates command, and I was touching them with my meter's probe to see the voltage, and that's how I discovered the effect.

7estatdef Wrote:I suspect that the reason that you are losing reception then you installed the protection screen is that you didn't have an antenna connect to the set.

Actually I did. Plus I connected the GND to the Earth GND.

7estatdef Wrote:It's actual propose is to stop the 3 tubes from interacting with each other. It also blocks out any radio signals too. Not to protect tube from breakage.

Yes, I kinda figured that out too. I am familiar with a screen concept. This is why I called it "screen" and not "that metal box that keeps tubes from breaking" Icon_smile

7estatdef Wrote:Another thing to check is the primary windings on all the rf coils.

That was done in the early stage of the debug. The coils seem to be intact. They show low-res. continuity on my meter.

7estatdef Wrote:Probably should rebuild the caps if you don't want to burn up the power transformer or your house. Safety First!

Which ones? Those in the big can? They indeed can fail creating potential hazard; the potted ones in small backelite boxes #8 and #22 (0.05uF) also face direct plate voltage "D" so, yes, they also can be a problem.

Actually, it was my intent today to measure the capacitance of those by de-soldering the surrounding wires. I wonder myself how they have survived these 80 years Icon_smile

Thanks Terry, I'll let you know how it goes.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco 20 restoration state: need the voltage chart - by morzh - 11-03-2011, 08:32 AM