Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 87 alignment question/RESULTS

I made my alignment tool and everything went by-the-books, so to speak, until the very last step. (RF tubes 3rd and 2nd received only a minor adjustment to get a minimum signal) The first RF tube's neutralization condenser showed the meter going down as I turned it. The more I turned it, the more it went down. It felt super loose. So I took it back to where it was before and, of course, the meter went up until I could turn the condenser no more. No matter what changes I made, the results were always repeated. I disconnected all of the test equipment and turned the radio on and I would describe the operation as completely satisfactory. If I adjust the first condenser now, it merely lowers the signal. So it's more or less where it was before. When I have the ground connected, the set works much better, but without it is not bad at all. If I stick a 2' wire on the antenna post (and no ground), I can pick up my 4 strong stations crystal clear and the Volume Control works. What it the control on the right side called?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco 87 alignment question - by Ron Ramirez - 01-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Re: Philco 87 alignment question - by DKinYORKpa - 01-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Re: Philco 87 alignment question - by Ron Ramirez - 01-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Re: Philco 87 alignment question - by DKinYORKpa - 01-22-2012, 10:58 AM