Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Philco 37-116X What's The Price Point?

(04-04-2012, 01:48 PM)CrumblingWires Wrote:  Depends on how "radio rich" your Area is. If you like 116s ( & who doesn't ?Icon_smile) then like Tom says, what's it worth to you, if you like it buy it.

I'd be a little leery of a silly sellerIcon_rolleyes as Arran states, but after all its one of Philco's Best for 37 & 38 "high fidelity."

Here's a posting from a friend of mine & Ron's, for those of you who might attempt to try restoring the chassis that shows, with pics, how to remove the tuning chassis WITHOUT disconnecting all of the 13 wires.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132122

John also has another post with some additional info I'll try to find & add to this thread soon. Found it, same 3 pictures, so I'll just add the additional text, quote;

"Congrats. This is one of the best playing radios you can find without spending thousands of dollars.

The 1937 and 38 Philco chassis are built in sections. They are built in such a fashion that by simply taking the sections apart you can get to every old capacitor in that chassis. And NO You do NOT need to unwire it. Some may try to tell you to just unwire 13 wires and you can have all the sections apart. Thats a waste of time and provides 13 possible errors. Other than taking the whole dial assembly off.. and unwiring a couple wires to that dial assembly. The rest is simply an erector set dis-assembly and re-assembly process. It takes about 10 minutes to have this whole chassis apart for working on it and maybe 15 minutes to put it back together again. The only tool required is a 1/4" Nutdriver. So... don't let the following pictures scare you... it really is a whole lot simpler than it looks in the pictures. Pictures are of a 4 sectional 37-116 Philco chassis apart for restoration. Don't loose the little clip at the rear of the long volume control shaft.

John k9uwa"

Hope this helps.

A barking dog "Arf Arf" from a "Alternative Radio Forum" Icon_crazyIcon_lolIcon_wink
Lloyd

Feeling foolish, just last minutes when asking. Never asking, being foolish last forever.

Thanks for the great info John.
Will give it a try when I get that far.
murf

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 37-116X What's The Price Point? - by murf - 04-04-2012, 03:34 PM