Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 12s568 a work in progress

Thanks guys!
I wasn't left with much of a choice in the refinishing dept. on this one. This was one ugly set when i started. Anything I did to it was an improvementIcon_lol. As for the woodgraining, it was actually fairly easy. i've done a couple of non radio projects. As for what I used, I masked off the cabinet and sprayed a couple of coats of Rustoleum Khaki semi-gloss for the base color. I sanded that lightly and the applied Walnut Minwax Gel-stain in two coats. On the first coat I used a wadded up plastc grocery bag to simulate a walnut burl on the case. for the center pillars I used a stiff brush to grain. After it dried a bit I went over the areas with a soft brush to blur the graining. For the second coat I just used a brush to streak the stain on over the first coat. It's all a matter of playing with it. The good thing is if you don't like what you've done you can wipe it off with a rag and mineral spirits and start over. The pillars were the hardest part as they are curved and it was hard to follow the contours.
Gel stain works really well for this. But, if I were to do it again though, i think I would thin it just a hair as it tended to dry a little too quickly. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.
I've now started on the chassis restoration. Lot's to do there, should be interesting. Good night all!
Kevin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by morzh - 07-29-2012, 04:48 AM
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by Arran - 07-29-2012, 08:19 PM
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by 37silverstreak - 07-29-2012, 09:40 PM
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by Arran - 07-30-2012, 12:05 AM
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by Steve D - 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM