Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Type 611 in New Zealand

Thank you for that link.
I took some pictures of the inside of the radio while it was running in a darkened room. I love the glow of those tubes. I think it would be nice to preserve as much of the radio intact as it is. It looks simple enough to use that aux input to connect my external source - I was going to put an Apple Airport Express inside which has the same type of connector as an iPod dock.
I wasn't clear from the circuit diagram exactly the right capacitor to use. It looks as though it is either .1μf or 1μf (and my knowledge of electronics is that limited that I couldn't be sure if those values actually exist!)

I have removed the chassis and loud speaker from the cabinet now to begin cleaning and re-finishing the wood work.
The speaker has what appears to be a transformer coil on the back of it, I am assuming this is in leu of a permanent magnet and the speaker is driven at high voltage. It doesn't need replacing, just curious.

I removed the glass from the tuning dial for cleaning. The decals/paint are quite fragile on here so I am going to very carefully try to clean the glass between the paint using warm water and cue tips.

Messages In This Thread
Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-24-2012, 05:01 AM
RE: Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-25-2012, 04:45 AM
RE: Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-25-2012, 06:46 AM
RE: Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-25-2012, 07:00 AM
RE: Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-25-2012, 10:53 PM
RE: Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-26-2012, 02:13 AM