Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average

Philco 40-140 Field Coil Replacement

Guys, thank you for all of your assistance on this. For some reason, I wasn't getting an email when someone posted something on the thread. Is that how it works, or should I just check back? Well, anyway, sorry for the delay. I have continued to work on the set, and it's turning out good. The low volume was in the potentiometer. Using a little electric cleaner spray, I got it back. It still had a hum and slight growl. This one stumped me for a few weeks, but here is the deal: I was in the process of hooking my signal tracer up to it. I first grounded the radio to the tracer. When I did this, the hum and growl went away. I knew I had some kind of grounding problem. Now, this radio has a special loop aerial - it has five screw-type aerial posts on the chassis. I had removed this and was just using my test aerial, which is a long cord which stretches the length of the garage. I hooked that to the first post. The other screw posts I left blank. After I found out it was a grounding problem. I tooke the Philco aerial off the shelf and put it back properly and it now sounds fine. The other sets I have worked on only had an aerial and a ground post, so I didn't see the problem. Suffice it to say it is sounding great. Thanks so much to all who pitched in with advice.

Messages In This Thread
Philco 40-140 Field Coil Replacement - by radiola - 09-04-2012, 11:21 PM
RE: Philco 40-140 Field Coil Replacement - by radiola - 10-02-2012, 09:18 PM