Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-690 Missing amp and 14" woofer

I have located replacements for the missing tube shields. I found that I had a couple scrap Philco chassis that had the correct shields. These were painted with the same silver paint as the others. I pulled all the tubes, and cleaned off the dirt with a damp rag. ( Water only-no detergents or soap to avoid washing away the the numbers on the glass. ) 3 tubes are missing. I tested all the tubes I have.(TV-7D/U Tester) All are good except the diode sections on the 6B8 and 6R7 tubes. These read quite a bit low. I wonder if the tube tester is accurate as the pentode and triode sections show well above the specified reading. I own a Hickok tube tester, and will retest these tubes on it. The top dial light socket was broken where it attached to the bracket that held it. This was repaired with a piece of brass tubing that was completely flattened at one end, and the rest of it was flattened only enough to allow it to slide onto the mounting bracket. A hole was drilled at the completely flattened end, and a hole was drilled in what was left of the sockets broken off part. There is a small dimple where I center punched and drilled a hole. The completely flattened tubing end was attached with a 4-40 screw. At the transition between completely flattened, and partially flattened tubing, it was bent 90 degrees. The partially flattened end now slid onto the original bracket. The amount of flattening is adjusted to give a snug fit.

Messages In This Thread
38-690 Missing amp and 14" woofer - by peteivan - 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM
RE: 38-690 Missing amp and 14" woofer - by Arran - 10-31-2012, 09:27 PM
RE: 38-690 Missing amp and 14" woofer - by peteivan - 11-07-2012, 11:37 AM