Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buzz/Static - Philco 91 type 126 Restoration Help

Ron - That was a really good call on the interference!!!!!! Thanks for your posting that response.

Of course, I feel really foolish that I didn't guess that myself, but really glad to know what the problem was.

The room I was working in had a wall dimmer switch nearby and two ceiling fans overhead with dimmers and electronic controls built into them.

I got a small portable battery powered AM radio and walked around the house. First, I started in that room and I had exactly the same horrible buzzing, etc. as on the Model 91. So I walked around the house and found a spot with minimal interference and then moved the model 91 radio there.

I re-strung my antennae and grounded the set as before an man did it play great! I was picking up stations (here in suburban Charlotte, NC) from all over the country.

Bottom line: It plays and works great!!!!!

New list of problems include:

1) The shadow meter doesn't appear to be working.

2) The set appears to be about 30 KHz off. Example: Dial says 1080 when I pick up 1110 WBT, or 1030 when I get WKYW at 1060. Alignment problem?

3) I noticed my ground wire sparking when it touched the chassis or ground lug. I measured 60 volts AC by putting my meter in AC mode and measuring by touching one probe to the chassis and the other to the well grounded ground wire. Obviously, somewhere I have a hot wire leaking to ground. Note: Used safety capacitors for the line to ground capacitors in part 53 (part number 3793-E).

4) At the top end of the dial (above 1430) the set goes quite sometimes and I have to tune way down to around 900 and then run the dial back up and re-tune the station (above 1430 or so) to get it to play again.

I am sure these issues can be cured with time and patience and a little work. But wanted to thank you for the help.

Messages In This Thread