Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Whistling in 40-150

Dave, thanks for the advice (and you, too, cwtravis.) I'll move some wires around and see what I can make happen.

The previous "restorer" had installed new filter capacitors, cutting the old cans out of the circuit. He basically hung the new filters, some other caps, and a couple of resistors in mid-air, connected with stiff bus wire and some sleeving, all in a bundle in the vicinity of the first AF tube. The result was a dreadful hum that increased at each end of the volume control and came to a minimum when the volume was at the mid-point.

Unfortunately, all this is under the push-button coils, so the photos I've seen don't show the wires very well. I restuffed the capacitor cans and then had to make up my own routing for most of the power supply wires.

All the other wires that I replaced I soldered the new wire to one end of the old and then pulled the new wire through the exact routing of the old.

I did make one mistake in not noting the exact routing of the B+ wire to the 2nd IF transformer. That wire weaves over and under several of the wires going to the IF tube on its way to a B+ terminal but I forgot to note exactly how. That area might be a good one to start with moving wires around.

John Honeycutt

Messages In This Thread
Whistling in 40-150 - by Raleigh - 10-15-2007, 09:36 PM
[No subject] - by davemc - 10-16-2007, 09:08 AM
[No subject] - by Carl Travis - 10-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Lead dress - by Raleigh - 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM