Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-1274 motorized tuning problem

Philco 48-1274 Update: I have finally finished restoring the chassis and phono changer. It was a lot of work replacing all the paper capacitors, 3 bad resistors, restringing one of the tuning drive cords, bad AM oscillator shunt trimmer capacitor (found exact replacement on eBay) and fixing a loose rivet on a terminal strip in the power supply that was causing a loud hum when the chassis was tapped. It plays very well and is extremely sensitive on FM using only the cabinet antenna--AM & SW works great. The motorized band selector & tuning work perfectly. I don't have any 78 RPM records to test on the changer yet but the cartridge works and has the correct needle. I did notice this is the first Philco I have ever seen with a 4-gang FM front end--Philco seemed to put a lot of effort in designing this particular chassis. One thing I forgot to mention is that it is very loud and has plenty of bass in the audio. My Philco also has the original back also. Only thing I now need to figure out is how to fix the glass dial scale--the brown paint has flaked off but the rest of the scale is fine--has anyone had any luck with fixing the dial scale? Thanks, Ken

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 48-1274 motorized tuning problem - by Kenradio - 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM