Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Where to find new drive belts?

Hi,
I had to get both parts for my phono, and did manage to get a NOS idler and new belt.
As you have already bought them, it makes no difference, but I'd like to put out another source to everyone here. Ed Crockett has the small belts and either NOS parts, or can rebuild your old idler. He specializes in the RCA 45 rpm phonos, but does rebuild all other brands.
Top notch repairs too, I've had other idlers rebuilt.
http://www.vintagelectronics.com/

One thing I'd like to mention, (unless you have already run into it), is that some NOS brass bearing idlers might be a little tight on your spindle. Using some 400 grit paper wrapped on a metal rod, you can very lightly hone the inside of the bearing to make a good fit to your spindle.
I'd also suggest that you disassemble the motor assembly to clean out the old grease, and relube sparingly.

The other parts of the phono will have dried on grease that will have to be removed. I did not disassemble the whole phono, but was able to get to all the old grease, scrape it off and relube.
I have the service folder for he phono itself if you need it. It shows all the adjustments and theory of operation. I really don't like working on phonos, but if you take your time you can understand how they work in detail.
Good luck with your project.
Gary.

Messages In This Thread
Where to find new drive belts? - by ODPILOT - 05-08-2013, 03:36 PM
RE: Where to find new drive belts? - by ODPILOT - 05-10-2013, 08:09 PM
RE: Where to find new drive belts? - by gary rabbitt - 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM
RE: Where to find new drive belts? - by ODPILOT - 05-16-2013, 06:30 AM
RE: Where to find new drive belts? - by ODPILOT - 05-18-2013, 10:22 AM