Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2013 Season

John (Eliot) - I think you're right, you have to find the method that works best for you and go with it.

PhilcoJohn - yes, this does take a lot of patience, and I'll be the first to admit that I don't have enough of that. But I will also say that I never would have thought three years ago that I could achieve these results with cabinets. I'm still a rank amateur at this but I'm satisfied with my work so far this year.

Speaking of which...

This morning, I masked off the 610T. I had bought one can of Extra Dark Walnut Ultra Classic with my latest supply of toners from the Wood Finishers Store, just to try it and discover the difference between it and the Extra Dark Walnut Tone Finish. The Ultra Classic version is different - in a good way, I think. Very dark, yet not quite as dark as the Tone Finish version. Plus, having dye instead of pigment, it allows any wood grain to show through.

I am now convinced that this is the type to use on those Philco cathedrals and tombstones that have large, very dark areas, where we have used Extra Dark Walnut and Van Dyke Brown Tone Finish in the past.

Check it out on the 610T:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...0007-3.jpg]

A very pleasing contrast, I think, without going overboard.

A tiny bit of blushing occurred on the left corner of the trim. A quick spritz of No Blush Plus took care of that. Icon_thumbup

Once I removed the paper and tape, I discovered the paper had reacted with the Medium Walnut in two tiny spots on the right side. Fortunately, I was able to lightly sand those small areas and spritz a tiny bit of Medium Walnut in those areas. Looks good now.

Next came the 42-22CL cabinet. I sanded it down with 320 grit while I was letting the 610T trim dry. After sanding, wiping down, and blowing it off with a can of compressed air, I applied two coats of Medium Walnut toner to it.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...0008-2.jpg]

This cabinet is turning out quite well indeed; actually, better than I expected it to. I think the average person will not notice where the scratches were, or at least, they will not know how bad those scratches were. I can see a small bit of scarring, but then again, I know where they were so I will notice the area more.

In all, a very productive weekend. I am quite pleased. Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2013 Season - by Ron Ramirez - 06-09-2013, 10:14 AM