Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2013 Season

Progress report:

After not doing any cabinet work since Sunday, I took a few minutes yesterday to do the following:

* Gave the grille of the 42-22CL one coat of sanding sealer, sanded it, gave it a coat of clear lacquer, sanded it again, then one more coat of clear.

I returned to the cabinets this afternoon, and here's what was accomplished:

* Toned the 42-22CL grille with a couple coats of Medium Walnut, followed by a coat of clear Deft
* Wet sanded the 42-22CL and the 610T with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper
* Wiped down the 42-22CL and 610T
* Gave both cabinets their first two "money coats" of clear lacquer
* After letting the 42-22CL dry a bit, reunited the grille with the cabinet, along with some Titebond II to hold the grille in place
* Applied the first coat of grain filler on both sides of the 38-2670B cabinet

Not bad for an afternoon's (and early evening's) work, I think. Icon_smile The 610T is looking very nice at this point, very smooth overall. The 42-22CL isn't too bad, either.

I need to apply the very dark lacquer inside the grille openings of the 610T, and then the PHILCO decal. I'll follow that up with a few more "money coats" of clear, and it will be finished.

I need to find a "B'DC'ST - POLICE" decal for the 42-22CL. I was quite dismayed to discover Radio Daze no longer carries decals with these two words in a straight line - all of theirs are curved now to match the contour of a knob. Icon_sad

Sometime next week, I hope to be applying lacquer to the 38-2670.

I'm going to go ahead and finish these three up, as much as I can given the 42-22CL decal dilemma I find myself in, and then turn to the other cabinets which need veneer repairs.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2013 Season - by Ron Ramirez - 06-13-2013, 07:13 PM