Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Zenith 9S262 - What have I done now?

Ron

(I did not laugh - parole d'honneur)

This chassis may be restored. Whether you want to spend the effort - this is another matter.
Obviously an attempt was made at restoring it and, successful it might be in the past, the job does not look pro or even decent amateur.
I do not know what you paid for the whole thing but parted out it still is worth something - the mentioned tone control switch alone (and yes -- it does look kosher but needs some cleaning) was offered top me at kutztown for 60 bucks (not that I think it is the right price but I would pay 30 bucks for it as mine is broken and then JBWelded). The resistors are there so you don't have to buy them.
the control on the right that is unconnected is wrong I think - it should be the switch for ON/Local - Long Distance. That is (If I read it right) a problem as you will have to find the switch. There is just one pot and it is the one on the left which is the Volume and it is not supposed to have the switch, it should be pot only; the switch is the mentioned one on the right which is not there.

Candohms never survive in Zeniths according to the popular opinion. Mine did have both 11K sections open. So I replaced it.

And the belts also never survive. They are 6 bucks apiece tops. You need two.
Also the idiot who restored it discarded the original caps replacing them with something non-original (originals are orange).

But here are some good news:

1. The cabinet, unless you found some flaws with it by now, did seem to be in marvellous shape and to me that is hard to beat.
2. I saw opn more than one occasion over this year the chassis that is sold alone on eBay, that goes into several radios, 262, 232 and some others. And it did not go for that much money. So if you are patient, within a year you can probably get one, preferably unrestored, and use it instead. And you will have some spare parts
3. You don't need 6T5. No one uses it anymore - it is a museum item, like some Edison Phonograph ser. no 10. Use 6U5, this is exact electrical analog.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zenith 9S262 - What have I done now? - by morzh - 07-04-2013, 04:03 PM