Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 620 restoration

Hi Randal, I'm not going to throw anything at you Icon_smile

"Seems to me that leaving "well marked" capacitors (not hidden in orig bakelight housings), by taking time to install terminal-strips, would be a much better idea for the future restorers??? You reckon??"

Nope. Adding the terminal strips creates more work than just rebuilding the block. Often the block are used as tie points and those will have to be changed also. You could also run into "lead dressing" issues of the parts placement. Maybe picking up a hum or stray signals when the parts are located in different places. Even a half inch could make a difference.

There is usually no mystery in finding the values.
They new parts are not "hidden per se, unless you fill the block up with tar again. Removing the one hol down bolt, and turning the block over will let you actually look at the values of the caps we installed. installed. WE actually have made it easier than they were originally built. The original insides were not marked with values. Mr. Future owner will thank us for not repotting with tar.

If the future user is truly interested in restoring a set again, then I would say he/she should get a reference book on the blocks.
For those who can read a diagram, you really don't need a resource guide, and could fgure out what s in the block. The guide will save a little time though.

For those down the road, I think they will want something original looking to see how it was "back in the day". Otherwise why not gut the cabinet out, and install a cheap Chinese piece of junk? Then when it fails, throw in the landfill, and install another cheapo board. Heck, throw away the old wood cabinet and use a plastic one. That will make it easier on the future guy, because he will not have to worry about refinishing. Or just throw the whole set away, and get an I-pod thingy, it's easier and smaller. All those "complicated" tubes and wires may give someone an uncomfortable feeling.

There is more to having a radio then just to hear sound come out. Looking at parts that either are original or look original is part of the charm.
I'd much rather see a chassis with the blocks like they were when new, than to see a chassis with those gaudy looking yellow caps glaring at me. Unless of course, it is already missing the blocks that someone thoughtfully removed. Then, I'd have to restuff some Philco wax caps and install those. Icon_smile

Let me say Randal, that if one finds a Philco chassis that has all the parts removed, then it may be ok to install terminal strips and such to save the chassis.

Just my opinion though, have a great evening.
Gary.

Messages In This Thread
Philco 620 restoration - by David B - 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
What constitutes a "restoration" - by AI2V - 01-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Philco 620 - by David B - 01-22-2008, 08:17 PM
[No subject] - by Raleigh - 01-22-2008, 10:16 PM
[No subject] - by Raleigh - 01-22-2008, 10:31 PM
[No subject] - by gary rabbitt - 01-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Resistors next - by AI2V - 01-23-2008, 09:18 AM
[No subject] - by gary rabbitt - 01-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Philco 620 - by David B - 01-27-2008, 01:04 AM
[No subject] - by Guest - 02-28-2008, 05:55 PM