Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Starting to refinish my Highboy 90

I'm no expert either, but I'm better at refinishing than I am at chassis work. I'll tell you what I do, but other people might do things differently.

Do you have an old, beat up, scrap radio cabinet that you can salvage veneer from? I find that old pieces are easier to work with. If not, no big deal. Cut pieces of veneer to fit into the missing spots. I've used a pencil and paper to make a tracing of the missing area first, then use the pattern to cut the new piece. You want the grain to run in the same direction as on the radio. Try to get an exact fit, if possible. Once you are happy with the new piece, use wood glue and glue it in place. Use a clamp or heavy weight to hold it down if needed. Let it sit for 24 hours..

Once it's dry, trim any overhang, then take a sanding block and some 300 - 400 grit sandpaper and sand the new veneer (with the grain), until it's level with the veneer on the radio. Once you start getting into the old veneer be careful. Don't want to sand through it.

I personally try not to sand the old cabinet any more than necessary. The wood has developed a petina and sanding removes it and can make the final finish look uneven.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starting to refinish my Highboy 90 - by Jamie - 09-14-2013, 01:34 PM
RE: Starting to refinish my Highboy 90 - by Jamie - 09-15-2013, 09:27 AM
RE: Starting to refinish my Highboy 90 - by Arran - 09-15-2013, 10:03 PM